God is our solid foundation when we face all the assaults that life throws our way. He is our Solid Rock, our Refuge in the storms of life. Today, Mr. Hughes says he believes that distance is a Christian's biggest problem. - The distance we allow (or cause) between God and us. We should have the same attitude as Job - "though He slays me, I will trust Him." Because Job remained close to God, he was able to trust Him with His life.
I must ask myself, "Why would I allow distance to come between God and me?" I believe it is the evidence of the root of every sin - pride.
- It replaces trust for fear of being thought a fool
- It convinces us we can survive independently of God
- It deters us from seeking help when we need it
- It causes us to withhold forgiveness
- It inspires both greed and envy
- It tricks us into believing our blessings have come as a result of our abilities and determination and not God's loving hand
- It stifles our generosity, convincing us that we deserve what we have worked hard to achieve
Psalm 85:8 I listen carefully to what God the Lord is saying,
for he speaks peace to his faithful people.
But let them not return to their foolish ways.
The first three of the Ten Commandments is a description of a right relationship with God. We are to acknowledge Him as Creator and put Him above everything else. I believe the sin of pride precedes every other sin. It lures us into putting ourselves before God. Pride is the sin that leads to what Mr. Hughes believes is our biggest problem. It is what keeps us from living a fulfilled life - distance from God.
Lord help us to do as David instructed in 1 Chronicles 22:19 -
"Now determine in your mind and heart to seek the Lord your God."